At the close of National Preservation Month, the Preservation Society of Fall River would like to celebrate properties throughout the city that have returned from the brink to become icons in their neighborhoods once more.
With this, the Preservation Society is pleased to announce its first ever “Most Preserved Properties List.”
Although many of the city’s historic properties are endangered, it’s equally important to recognize the properties of the past recently restored to find places in the community of today.
This list aims a spotlight on some of the most preserved historic properties in Fall River over the last several years.
Lafayette-Durfee House (94 Cherry Street)
The 1750 home of Thomas Durfee and his son Col. Joseph Durfee was frequently visited by the Marquis de Lafayette during the American Revolution. As Fall River’s only restored colonial house open for public tours, the property has gone through major renovations in recent years. Community Preservation Act funding has helped build new drains and a historically accurate roof, repair the exterior stone wall, restore the windows, and rebuild the fireplaces.
Commonwealth Landing (1082 Davol Street)
The former Quaker Fabric Corp. mill was bought in 2010 and 103 market-rate apartments were built on the third, fourth and fifth floors of the building in addition to commercial space on the first floor. Commonwealth Landing opened in 2017.
Curtain Lofts (420 Quequechan Street)
The 140-year-old Wampanoag Mill No. 1 hosted outlet stores from 1976 until 2009. The building was bought in 2010 and converted into 97 apartments over five floors for residents ages 55 and older. Curtain Lofts opened in 2011.
Cornell Mill (649 Alden Street)
The 192,000 square foot granite mill anchoring the east end of Alden Street was bought in 2016 and converted into 101 market-rate apartments. Cornell Mill Lofts opened in 2018.
Portugalia Marketplace (489 Bedford Street)
The two-story brick building, formerly Norbert Manufacturing, was converted into the 15,000 square-feet Portugalia Marketplace in 2013.
Tipsy Toboggan (75 Ferry Street)
The two-story small building, once part of the Travis Furniture complex, opened as a ski-lodge inspired restaurant named the Tipsy Toboggan in 2012.
Fall River Knitting Mill (69 Alden Street)
In late 2017, work began converting the 150-year old former Wampanoag Mill No. 2 into a100-unit apartment complex. The granite mill will be housing for residents ages 63 and older. In addition to the apartments, the building will have a 5,000-square-foot senior center leased to the city for $1 a year.